Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Pillow

My Granny Nette sewed everything in her home... everything. Curtains, pillows, bedspreads, quilts; she even reupholstered a set of her couch and love seats once (maybe twice..). I grew up watching her do all this, but somehow never absorbed the talent for it. So here I am... struggling to sew. I am well aware that sewing takes time, practice and patience. "Sew" begins my journey... (heehee)

I am ashamed to say that this idea has been brewing in my head for 6(???) years. When I saw the fabric I knew exactly what I wanted to do, the problem was bringing it to fruition. The last couple of days that is what I have done. I knew what I wanted, it was just a matter of time and having the know how to do it. It seems pretty simple, I know, but when you haven't sewn much it's a little harder than you would think.

I'm so happy with the way it came out. Maybe I have a bit more of Granny in me than I thought. :) I couldn't help feeling close to her as I worked on this project and it brought back some great memories. I know she would be proud of my product. ♥ Hopefully there are more to come!

Monday, March 14, 2011

My Maiden Craft...

   So I saw an idea in a magazine a long time ago for the cutest picture frames and it stuck with me ever since. I kept pondering on it because it looked so cute and easy to make. So I decided to give it a try last night....

  I started out with a plain jane picture frame that I found in the clearance aisle at Walmart. I think I paid 2.00 for it, so no huge deal, just something cheap to test my theory on. :)


   There is no glass in this frame so it would be good for a child's bedroom and play room.

  I had some fabric laying around that I had purchased a few years ago with all the intentions of making a quilt. Needless to say that is not how that played out. So I cut a piece of it to fit the frame and then cut the middle out leaving an edge to fold over the back and through the frame. The inside section you want to cut diagonal slits in the corners. I fastened the back of the frame with upholstery tacks and used small tack nails for the inside of the frame. You could also use super glue on the inside section but I had none, so I had to improvise.


 I wish I had thought to take a picture of the inside of the frame, but sadly I did not and it is already at it's new home.

  I'm sure the puckering in the corners is annoying you guys as much as it was me so I decided to put a little flair in the corners to disguise the issue. I pulled out the trusted hot glue gun and a few buttons I had laying around and presto! The finished product...

   It's not perfect, but I still love it! Unfortunately it matches nothing in my house, so I gave it to Sarah who quickly lost it to Cameryn. :) I hope it enjoys its new home. :)